Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Day Before

I leave tomorrow. Tomorrow! I can't believe that the time has come already. In some ways I feel woefully unprepared, for example I have not yet begun packing, but in other ways I think it's time to leave. This has been a very long (and quite enjoyable!) winter break, but January is nearly over, Conn people are back in school, and the time has come to leave for this next big adventure. I sincerely hope that it is an amazing adventure.

So tomorrow I leave from Albuquerque in the morning then have a long series of flights and layovers that take me to Dallas, Miami, Lima, and then finally Cusco. I imagine that when I arrive at 9 AM two days from now I will be exhausted and lonely. But I plan to find my hostel, dump my bags, and go exploring.

Some people have warned me about altitude sickness and I know that I will certainly not be immune. Marina, for example, suffered some pretty awful symptoms when she went to Bolivia. That proves it to me that we Solomons are not immune! However, I live at 6,000 ft. and might take it better than people from sea level. I hope my layover in Lima doesn't ruin it for me by acclimatizing me to sea level! Oh well, only time will tell.

I've been thinking about the people I'm leaving behind this semester and feeling sad, as well as excited. I truly do not know what to expect. However, I'm glad that I have great memories, such as my goodbye to Joanna in which my necklace broke and a deluge of beads cascaded down to the ground as we hugged. I was so surprised! Julie compared it to someone's water breaking. In which case I suppose I gave birth to some beads. It is the most hilarious goodbye that I can remember and I will not forget my friends at Conn and beyond when I'm gone. That's why I have this blog, so that you can know what I'm up to!

Anyway, I've put it off too long and I must go pack.
Until next time!

xo Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment