Monday, March 14, 2011

¡Resúmen del Viaje!

2-21-11 to 3-9-11

Puno -> Taquile -> Colca Canyon -> Arequipa -> Lima -> Cusco

Making our way from Puno to visit Uros, then on to Taquile. Lake Titicaca!

My host dad Bernardo Huata took me on a three hour walk around the island with his daughter. He crocheted his hat the whole time, but in the process showed me how amazing a place Taquile is. It looks like a Mediterranean Island!

As soon as I met my host family in Taquile, an island on Lake Titicaca, they made me put on traditional clothing. Oddly enough, I felt much more comfortable wearing it there than my American clothes.


The Plaza de Armas in the very small pueblo of Achoma in Colca Canyon. It rained every day and got so very cold! We'd all get exhausted and go to sleep around 7:30 or 8 every night. This is the town where I spent five days with a rural homestay family. I helped them dig up potatoes, retrieve cactus fruits (tunas), and talked to them about their lives, beliefs, and education. I could barely understand my host dad because he spoke so softly and moved his lips so slightly. One night my host brother, Fabricio, had us all watch the season premiere of his favorite telenovela, a ridiculous masterpiece called Al Fondo Hay Sitio. So crazy! I've never seen a show that jumps around it's timeline (without explanation) more!

My house in Achoma, my rural home stay pueblo. I miss talking with my host mom Alejandrina...although I do not miss the hours of Go Fish playing that my 11 year old host brother forced upon me. I thought War would be a better game.... I was so very wrong.

One of our sheep in Achoma, the very chubby month year old lamb aptly named Chico Lindo.

Rachel being AWESOME and competing in an MMA tournament in Lima!

El Circuito Mágico de Agua. Great recommendation Donaldo! Too bad I saw the main show three times (2 1/2 times too many). Olivia, good luck doing a project there.

Under the water bridge!

On one of our last nights in Lima we went to a showing of Peruvian movie shorts in Barranco about abuse against women. So intense!

The Theater Company in Lima, Yuyachkani, that performed a piece about peruvian women, talked to us about international women's day, and choreographed an ukuku dance in which we all wore ukuku masks and danced around. I also wore a big hairy yarn outfit that was supposed to make me look like a bear. Luckily for me, I took no photos!

Sorry this is brief, but it takes 89 years for photos to load on blogspot.

Goodnight!
xoxo,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment