Monday, April 4, 2011

El Último Fin de Semana en Cusco

4-2/3-11

This is my last weekend here before ISP! I can’t believe it and I feel bittersweet. I’m worried about Lima because it’s really big and fairly dangerous. Even if I’m perfectly safe it still takes me a while to get myself accustomed to a new place and I don’t have THAT much time there. I am excited though because many of the Iquitos crew are coming to visit towards the end of April. That’ll be something to look forward to!

Last night a couple of us decided to get up early and go to the Tupac Amaru market to buy presents for friends and family. I got a couple things, but I can’t tell what to buy people! I keep searching for rings to buy for myself and failing. They’re either too small or too expensive! I wonder if I’m going to return to the US and try to haggle with people. I already know that I’m going to be shocked by US prices. Here a 5 soles taxi ride is ridiculously expensive, but I remember taking a taxi in Boston last summer that cost me 30 dollars. That was ridiculous and I was pissed about it. PS – 5 soles is a little less than two dollars. We then went to the artisanal market where I continued my search for a ring. We ran into Donaldo and his family at the market and oh my gosh! I’d never met his daughters before but they are the most adorable little girls!! One is six and the other is three, but when I asked her how old she was she responded, “four.” Her mom had to pipe up and say, “No, she’s actually three.” So cute!

I came home for lunch and then in the afternoon I tried to catch up on my diario del campo. I’m reeeeeeally far behind. Good thing I have this blog because I can reference it and remember what in the world I’ve been doing. If not, the diario would be much more scant and vague.

I went out last night and danced and had a great time, so I figured I would go out again. It is, afterall, our last weekend all together in Cusco before ISP! We all went to Jake’s apartment for ISP and had ourselves a house party, something that we’re all more familiar and comfortable with than discotecas. Today was Amy’s birthday (we all ate cake yesterday after FSS! I love that SIT celebrates birthdays.) so we had to show her a good time. I don’t remember much else…

This morning I woke up at Tyler’s house, very confused, to the sound of my phone ringing. She and Kia had made the executive decision that I should sleep there since we got back really late. My host mom, however, was not in on this decision and was very worried about me. There were various miscommunications since I answered the phone half-asleep, but I finally cleared it up and went home to apologize. I felt especially bad since she’s such a nice lady and I hadn’t meant to deceive her! I felt really embarrassed, but she greeted me with no anger or anything. She just wanted to make sure that I was ok and that I’d eaten. Oh Peruvians! I showered then ate breakfast…then about ten minutes later I ate lunch. Most people would turn that into one meal, but Peruvians hate skipping meals. They’re so worried about people getting enough to eat! We had to hurry because we were going to go to another Cienciano game at one. I left with Papa Angel and Iris, struggled to find a cab, and then met Tio Alfredo outside of the stadium. Before we left Iris mentioned in passing that I should probably bring my rain jacket. Whoa was she right!!! It rained the entire second half and even though I wore my rain jacket I still got soaked! Everyone did! It rained harder than it did during the Yunsa! The rainy season is ending supposedly and it really hasn’t rained nearly as often as before, but the rain in making last ditch monsoon efforts. It poured last night and then today was ridiculous too! The game was between Cienciano (Initials are CC, which confuses me every time…) and Union Comercio. Cienciano was winning the whole game but it ended in a tie. By that time no one cared anymore because we were all soaked! I’d wanted to buy a jersey after the game, but all the vendors had fled from the rain. Some other time I guess.

We came home soaking wet and after changing we ate another small lunch, then about an hour later we had dinner. Haha Peruvians. Dinner here, however, generally consists of Tea/Coffee and some small dessert. Today it was Jello. I tried to write a little more of my diario (I’m still far behind), and then I went to play with Sebas. He calls me Lala because he can’t say Clarita, and that has turned into a new name for me in the house: Lalita. I actually really like the name. Sebas has starting hitting a lot more and we think he’s learning it from other kids at kindergarten. Today, however, he didn’t hit me at all. He did give me lots of hugs! I love little kids. The presidential debate was on at seven and so I attempted to watch it but Sebas kept dragging me all over the place. He was so cute in his ninja pajamas, tuxedo shiny shoes from his baptism, and a huge baseball cap. I wish I’d taken a photo! I had fun playing with him, but I did want to watch! The debate was between the top five candidates: Keiko Fujimori, Luis Castañeda, Ollanta Humala, Alejandro Toledo, and Pedro Pablo Kryczynski (PPK). On Thursday Papa Angel explained to me that he doesn’t trust Humala because he is a military man and he once ran for president before. For that election he basically followed the doctrine of near dictators Hugo Chavez and Castro. Papa Angel thinks that if Humala won then he’d turn into a dictator and obviously we don’t want that! It’s also suspicious because for this election Humala changed a lot of his political stances. Which one are the people supposed to trust in? Castaneda is super conservative and has a creepy smile. On the plane the other day Kia was reading a book about gay people in Peru and now she really hates Castaneda. Apparently when he was mayor of Lima he did some really terrible things. Keiko is the daughter of the only president in world history to resign by fax. Toledo used to be president and I don’t think that he should be reelected. That leaves PPK. Farina told me that she will vote for PPK and from what I heard in the debate, I would vote for him too. I hope that whoever wins manages to do more good than harm.

xoxo,

Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment