Monday, April 18, 2011

Lima pt. 4: Homesick

4-17-11

Today, Sunday the 17th, I gave myself a break from my ISP work and stress. I instead stressed about apartments for the summer and my CELS internship. I’m actually very worried that I won’t see my family over the summer and that the emotional toll of my internship might wear on me. I’ll work with victims of domestic violence and human trafficking. I’ve never met someone who’s gone through something like that! Am I unprepared for this? I had to fill out some CELS paperwork and write an essay for it and I just felt all this pressure weighing down on me. I talked to my mom and she made me feel much better. She and dad are leaving to visit Julie in Paris on Wednesday. I know I only have about a month left here, but at times it seems like an insurmountable amount of time. Lima is so Americanized in so many ways I don’t want to deal with another language, another culture, or another culture’s bureaucracy anymore. It’s so Americanized that it just makes me crave being in REAL America where I understand how things work and I don’t have to try so hard all the time. Eventually we figured out a lot of my dilemmas about summer and the apartment, but it was a stressful day nonetheless. I had to prepare to meet Jacqueline and Sonia too and I feel like I’ve not gotten nearly enough accomplished on this project. The stress never ends.

Xoxo,

Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment