Monday, February 7, 2011

Church and the Superbowl

2-6-11

Today felt like three separate days. First I woke up at 6:15 to go to church with the whole family. They said that once a month they drive about an hour to go to church, or as they said, temple, at a place called Huanaco. At least I think it was Huanaco. Anyways, I got up after very little and piled into the car with the whole family. I slept both on the way there and the way back (Edward teased me about that) but at least that made the churchgoing itself less sleepy. It was sort of what I expected church to be. Of course they sang a song about giving as men went down the aisles collecting money. The most interesting part was a song in Quechua. I sort of wished that they’d sung a song in Latin cause then I’d probably know it from all those years in chorus. No such luck- all in Spanish or Quechua. Lots of cars were crowded around the entrance of the church, many covered in yellow balloons and ribbons. I asked and my host mom explained that before you drive your car for the first time you often get it blessed by a priest. If my Latin American religion class gave me any perspective on this, then I’d say that this is an example of the physicality of religion here, how it connects to everyday life. I’m not sure you’d see such demand for blessings, as almost a magical protection, in the US! Maybe for Roman Catholics in the US, but even so it’s just not the same. We sat and ate bread (pancito), panettone, and hot chocolate in the car and then headed back home. I experienced most all of this in a daze and stayed silent for most of it, and of course slept on the way back. It’s beautiful how the clouds creep so low and cover the mountains in the early morning here.

We got back at 11:30 and I went straight to bed again, only to wake up at 1:30, in time for lunch. What an odd day! After a huge lunch, as usual, I played around with Sebas for a good bit. He’s so cute! I wish that they hadn’t cute his hair into a mullet though, he was so much cuter before. I’ve only heard him cry once in all the time I’ve been here and it was when he fell and hit his head on the ground. That was yesterday after the baptism and I remember liking the Grandpa’s reaction, which was to take Sebas’ plastic hammer and hitting the ground where Sebas had fallen. He punished the ground for Sebas, and remarkably, seeing him do that did make Sebas stop crying. Love that grandpa. Angel, who is two, came over and played with Sebas and me for a while and I tried to teach Sebas some animal names. He’s got “vaca” down, but others need work.

Then I sat down to write Celia back and found her online! I told her about my experience so far and found out that Olivia has the same host family she had! Apparently if Olivia offers to cook, she will be loved forever. Then I skyped with Julie!! She said that she reads this, and I’m glad that somebody does! That’s the whole reason I do it! Hi Jage! I miss you! I was super excited to talk to her, it’s been too long.

As I skyped with Jage, Jake called me asking if I wanted to go watch the Superbowl. I didn’t even know it was today or who was playing, but I said sure. So at 6 I met him and Justin at his house in los Sauces. The three of us, plus Jake’s host brother Luis, got in a taxi to Luis’ uncle’s house in La Rapa to watch the game. Rugby certainly helped my comprehension of football, but it is still such an odd game to me. This is probably the one and only time in my life that I watch the Superbowl in Spanish. Justin’s from Pittsburgh so we rooted for the Steelers but, alas, the Packers won.

Everyone seems much more worried about my safety than I am. I don’t really have a problem going places by myself. However, Luis wouldn’t let me walk home by myself from the bridge, even though it’s only about four blocks and I walk it all the time. The reason, I learned, is that I pass a Juvenile Correction Center along that four block walk. I don’t want any of you who read this to worry about me, I’ll be fine, I just probably shouldn’t share that tidbit with my mom! I’m careful and it looks like a safely built place.

xo Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment