Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ukuku y Huaraca

2-19-11

As today was a Saturday, I enjoyed sleeping in late. I ate a delicious avocado for breakfast, then sat around reading/attempting to figure out Cels before I leave on Monday. I don’t think I’ll be able to do it before then.. but I don’t return until March! Maybe I should bring my computer after all….I can’t decide. Lugging it around can be such a hassle, though. Only time will tell what I do. I ran (sortof) with Olivia before lunch, ate, and then afterward my host mom and I boarded a combi (El Zorro is the bus we take) to the Mercado Central. We hunted around and finally found a woman selling the ukuku demon mask that I have to buy for this trip in the right size and for a decent price. I bought one with a green face and rainbow stripes! I asked her for a mirror to see what it looked like and I nearly scared myself! It’s like a balaclava in that it covers your whole head except for you mouth and eyes, but with horns, a goatee, Cs for ears, and a curly-Q moustache embroidered on. Then we also bought the slingshot, otherwise known as Huaraca, which seems like it could do serious damage if used the wrong way! I met up with Lauren, Allina, and Olivia in the Plaza and my host mom returned home, then from there the four of us headed to the Café recommended to us, Café Ayllu. Full from our cafecitos and postres (I had a cachito which is like a conelike puff pastry filled with dulce de leche), we wandered around a bit, just walking the streets for the next several hours. This is exactly what I’ve wanted to do this whole time! We browsed tiny shops with wonderful scarves (so colorful!) and Peruvian hats, blankets, etc… really anything you could want. I’ll have to return later to get presents for people. I haven’t forgotten that I need to get you a hat Bradley! I bought an excellent present for Julie (Solomon) actually. Julie, think along the lines of the cowbell. It’s fantastic! I hope I’m not giving too much away.

It rained in the afternoon, as always, and we sheltered in this bookstore. We tried to find another with at least a couple books in English, but our search failed. When I got home my mom had made picarones, which are a bit like fry bread and meant to be eaten with a honey-like substance. I decided that since we have to wake up so early for Mass tomorrow, that I would stay in tonight. I asked a couple people if they’d like to watch movies tonight and they’re coming to my house in a bit. I hope that they like my selection of four movies, and if not, that they brought their own! I guess we’ll all watch in the rather awkward living room next to my room. Oh well, it’ll be fun cause I generally just enjoy being around people.

xo Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment