Sunday, February 13, 2011

Thizz Face

2-10-11

So let’s see. This morning I noticed that my host mom was literally giving me double the amount of food and I asked why. Her explanation was that I don’t eat again until one. Does the rest of the family have some other meal during the day that I don’t know about? I don’t understand this. It was raining most of the day boooo. Instead of having Quechua all morning we mostly watched a movie, although it was in Quechua. Called Kukuli, it is about the story of the Oso Raptor, a bear that kidnaps an indigenous and naïve girl that comes into the city. I asked my family if they knew the story or movie (they didn’t). It’s from the 60s. We protested heavily about some parts, epecially the fact that the main protagonist, Kukuli, appears to be raped twice then killed. However, after the first raping she prances away hand in hand with the guy and then talks about how they will marry. I’m sorry, what? We asked our Quechua teacher about this, and she didn’t seem to have a problem with it. She said that Andean culture is very macho and women are viewed solely for their role in bed. Again I’m sorry, what?? No. No. I have a problem with that. That was rape, Kukuli. Then we had an hour or so of Quechua class to discuss and mostly we voiced our confusion and incomprehension of this macho culture. No no.

For lunch my host mom made her version of chifa, or Chinese food… that was interesting. It was a welcome change, but certainly not Chinese. Imagine very bland Chinese stirfry made with spaghetti noodles and you’ll be on the right track. However, I love asian food of most sorts so I was pleased. The afternoon class was not a lecture today, but our second Field Study Seminar, or FSS class, which is our preparation for the final month’s mega research project. I don’t know what to study! My idea is way to broad – I need to focus in on something, but I don’t yet know what.

We wanted to go to an awesome market after class called El Molino, but Sonia said it’s not safe after dark, nor with bags. Alas, another day. This whole security issue is a real drag. So instead Kia, Olivia, Allina, and I went to a café to chat for a while. We decided to keep it only to Spanish cause that’s really what we should be doing all along. After that I went home and chatted with my family for a while telling them about my day and the story of the movie, as well as stories from my childhood like La Llorona and The Day it Snowed Tortillas. They hadn’t heard them before so even if I didn’t tell them with the most finesse, they seemed amused. My host mom told me a story first in Spanish, then Quechua, about a Rat and a Fox that gets tricked into believing that the sky is raining fire. For some reason I thought I’d heard it before, but I can’t be sure. She and Julissa also told me a couple riddles in Quechua, but I didn’t know the word for riddle in Spanish for there was a bit of confusion as well.

Oh my gosh, after that I played with Sebas. What a Ham. Also a very demanding toddler. I like to play with him but once I start her doesn’t let me leave! After finally extracting myself I packed up, then met up with Kia to go sing Karaoke. Ha! Second time in my life, but this time there was no Dreadlock Holiday nor Return of the Mac. Shame! Those need to come back into my life. This place had a bazillion Spanish songs though. The reason behind the title post is that Kia taught me the Thizz dance and apparently I’m really good at the face. Well, we all know that I’m awesome at ugly faces. Too bad it’s not a bankable talent. Anyway, fun times were had by all, which was most of the group. Tomorrow I’ve gotta wake up super early to go to Calca! We’re not supposed to bring computers so I won’t be writing for a while. We’ll be gone for two days, but I’ll summarize the stay once I get back.

Tupanachiskama (Until we see each other next)

xo Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment