Monday, February 14, 2011

El Molino

2-13-11

I took it pretty easy today. I spent the morning catching up on emails etc, then after lunch I met up with Rachel to go to the Molino market. I needed to buy a sleeping bag for Colca and she’d lost her jacket, so needed to replace it. Yesterday Kia, Olivia, and McClain all said they’d wanted to go, but we couldn’t manage to get a hold of any of them. They’d run out of minutes on their phone! However, McClain lives right next door so we decided to just knock on her door. Her host mom wanted to go to the market too, so all four of us headed out. El Molino is huge! I can see why they say not to bring bags or valuables because it would be easy to steal in such close quarters. Walking around all the tight hallways and tiny stalls I felt lost for most of the time we were there. I found a sleeping bag and we found everything we needed, then browsed the movies. This place is what McClain called “grey market,” meaning that you cannot be sure if the products are real, counterfeit, legal, or stolen. The movies, however, are certainly pirated. We bought a couple and then headed home.

I can’t remember exactly what else I did today, but it was pretty boring. I played with Sebas for a long time and learned that he calls me “Lala” because he cannot say “Clara.” Evidently the whole time I was gone he kept trying to find me and to appease him, the family just told him that I was in the bathroom. I guess a one and a half year old now thinks that I spent two straight days in the bathroom. Ha.

Well, just a Sunday I suppose. Off to school tomorrow.

xo Claire

1 comment: